[Python-Dev] AST optimizer implemented in Python

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Aug 13 21:00:40 CEST 2012

On 8/13/2012 10:45 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Not so fast. If you make this a language feature you force all Python
> implementations to support an identical AST API. That's a big step.

I have been wondering about this. One could think from the manuals that
we are there already. From the beginning of the ast chapter:

"The ast module helps Python applications to process trees of *the*
Python abstract syntax grammar.  ... An abstract syntax tree can be
generated by passing ast.PyCF_ONLY_AST as a flag to the compile()
built-in function" (emphasis on *the* added).

and the entry for compile(): "Compile the source into a code or AST object."

I see nothing about ast possibly being CPython only. Should there be?

--
Terry Jan Reedy