[Python-Dev] [compatibility-sig] do all VMs implement the ast module? (was: Re: AST optimizer implemented in Python)

Alex Gaynor alex.gaynor at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 07:33:37 CEST 2012

Brett Cannon <brett <at> python.org> writes:

> Time to ask the other VMs what they are currently doing (the ast module came
into existence in Python 2.6 so all the VMs should be answer the question since
Jython is in alpha for 2.7 compatibility).

As far as I know PyPy supports the ast module, and produces ASTs that are the
same as CPython's. That said I do regard this as an implementation detail,
further I'm guessing this is the context of the AST optimizer thread, and though
I have neither the time nor the inclination to wade into that, put me down as -1
a) everything proposed there is possible, b) making this a front-and-center API
makes it really easy to shoot themselves in the foot, by doing things like
breaking Python with invalid optimizations (hint: almost every optimization
proposed in that thread is invalid in the general case).

Alex