[Python-Dev] Raw I/O writelines() broken

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon Aug 20 23:17:10 CEST 2012

Hello,

I was considering a FileIO.writelines() implementation based on
writev() and I noticed that the current RawIO.writelines()
implementation is broken: RawIO.write() can return a partial write but
writelines() ignores the result and happily proceeds to the next
iterator item (and None is returned at the end).

(it's probably broken with non-blocking streams too, for the same
reason)

In the spirit of RawIO.write(), I think RawIO.writelines() could return
the number of bytes written (allowing for partial writes).

Regards

Antoine.

--
Software development and contracting: http://pro.pitrou.net