[Python-Dev] Jython roadmap

Jeff Allen "ja...py" at farowl.co.uk
Wed Aug 22 00:17:07 CEST 2012

On 21/08/2012 06:34, martin at v.loewis.de wrote:

> Zitat von "Juancarlo Añez (Apalala)" <apalala at gmail.com>:
>
>> It seems that Jython is under the Python Foundation, but I can't find
>> a roadmap, a plan, or instructions about how to contribute to it
>> reaching 2.7 and 3.3.
>>
>> Are there any pages that describe the process?
>
> Hi Juanca,
>
> These questions are best asked on the jython-dev mailing list, see

Hi Juancarlo:

I'm cross-posting this for you on jython-dev as Martin is right. Let's
continue there.

Jython does need new helpers and I agree it isn't very easy to get
started. And we could do with a published roadmap.

I began by fixing a few bugs (about a year ago now), as that seemed to
be the suggestion on-line and patches can be offered unilaterally.
(After a bit of nagging) some of these got reviewed and I'd won my spurs.

I found the main difficulty to be understanding the source, or rather
the architecture: there is too little documentation and some of what you
can find is out of date (svn?). A lot of basic stuff is still a complete
mystery to me. As I've discovered things I've put them on the Jython
Wiki ( http://wiki.python.org/jython/JythonDeveloperGuide ) in the hope
of speeding others' entry, including up-to-date description of how to
get the code to build in Eclipse.

One place to look, that may not occur to you immediately, is Frank
Wierzbicki's blog ( http://fwierzbicki.blogspot.co.uk/ ). Frank is the
project manager for Jython, an author of the Jython book, and has worked
like a Trojan (the good kind, not the horse) over the last 6 months.
Although Frank has shared inklings of a roadmap, it must be difficult to
put dates to things that depend on a small pool of volunteers working in
their spare time -- especially perfectionist volunteers who write more
Javadoc than actual code, then delete it all because they've had a
better idea :-). Direction of travel is easier: 2.5.3 is out, we're
trying to get to 2.7b, but with an eye on 3.3. I haven't seen anything
systematic on what's still to do, who's doing it, and where the gaps
are, which is probably what you're looking for. ... Frank?

Jeff Allen