[Python-Dev] Edits to Metadata 1.2 to add extras (optional dependencies)

Donald Stufft donald.stufft at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 14:07:39 CEST 2012

I personally think that at a minimum we should have X-Fields that
get moved into the normal METADATA file, and personally I would
prefer to just drop the X- prefix completely.

I think any spec which doesn't include first class support for
extending it with new metadata is going to essentially kick
the can down the road and solve the problems of today without
leaving room to solve the problems of tomorrow.

I know that distutils2 have requires-dist, but for the sake of
argument pretend they don't. If there is first class support for
extending the metadata with new fields, a project could come
along, and add a requires-dist (or x-requires-dist) concept to
metadata. Tools that understand it would see that data and
be able to act on it, tools that don't understand it would simply
write it to the METADATA file incase in the future a tool that
does understand it needs to act on it.

Essentially first class support for extending the metadata outside
of a PEP process means that outside of the stdlib people can
experiment and try new things, existing tools will continue to work
and just ignore that extra data (but leave it intact), new tools will be
able to utilize it to do something useful. Ideally as a new concept is
tested externally and begins to gain acceptance a new metadata
version could be created that standardizes that field as part of the
spec instead of an extension.