[Python-Dev] Edits to Metadata 1.2 to add extras (optional dependencies)

Donald Stufft donald.stufft at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 15:48:31 CEST 2012

On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 at 9:41 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

> The only thing I really care about is the namespacing, for the same
> reasons the IETF wrote RFC 6648, as Petri linked earlier [1].
> Establishing proper name registration rules can categorically
> eliminate a bunch of problems further down the line (such as the past
> confusion between which metadata entries were defined by PEPs and
> which were setuptools-specific extensions that other tools might not
> understand).

I'm happy with any form of a namespace to be quite honest. I have a bit of
a preference for no or flat namespace but i'm perfectly fine with a PyPI based
namespace. The important part is a defined way to extend the data that
even when tools don't understand the extended data they can losslessly
move it around from setup.cfg/setup.py/whatever to METADATA and
any other format, even if they themselves don't utilize it, leaving it intact
for tools that _do_ utilize it.