[Python-Dev] Edits to Metadata 1.2 to add extras (optional dependencies)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Aug 28 17:07:16 CEST 2012

Am 28.08.12 16:53, schrieb Donald Stufft:
> On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 at 10:43 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
>>
>> I'm happy for PyPI to host such a registry. A specificaion for the
>> registry should be part of the PEP for the 1.3 format, but I would
>> propose this structure (without having researched in detail what
>> other registries feature, but with a rough idea what IANA registries
>> typically include):
> PyPI packages itself could serve as a registry, but I like the idea of
> a separate registry better in many ways because it lets you divorce
> the namespace from the package.

Maybe I didn't express myself clearly - this is exactly what I proposed.
The registry would be implemented in the same software as PyPI, and run
on the same machine, and (perhaps) have pypi.python.org as it's domain
name, but otherwise would be decoupled from Python packages.

> What happens when it expires? Is that name freed up for future use?

Yes, exactly.

> think that freeing up the name is likely to be a bad idea since we can't go
> backwards in time (as you alluded to later about not deleting them), so
> what does expiration do?

Why would it require going backwards in time? Existing usages of the
extension just become invalid, e.g. with the consequence that you can't
upload the package to PyPI anymore unless you remove the extension,
or re-register it.

If the extension is in active use, somebody certainly will make sure it
stays registered. Expiration is to free up names that are not in active
use, but are otherwise reasonable names for metadata fields (say,
Requires-Unicode-Version).

Regards,
Martin