[Python-Dev] Edits to Metadata 1.2 to add extras (optional dependencies)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Aug 28 18:08:51 CEST 2012

Am 28.08.12 17:17, schrieb Donald Stufft:
> What do you do with packages that have already been uploaded with
> requires-unicode-version once it expires?

Who is "I" in this case? The PyPI installation? Mark the keys in the
database as expired, and stop displaying them. If the key is restored,
and the values are still syntactically correct, restore the values.

Or is "I" software which downloads packages? Continue doing what
it always does for invalid meta-data: I recommend to issue a warning;
aborting the setup could also work.

> If the point of a registry is
> to remove ambiguity from what any particular key means, won't expiring
> and allowing reregistration of an in use name (even if it's no longer being
> uploaded, but is still available inside of a package) reintroduce that same
> ambiguity?

No: if nobody renews the old registration, it's because the extension is
not in use. So the case you are constructing won't happen in practice.

> How will we know that requires-unicode-version from a package
> uploaded a year ago and has since expired is different than
> requires-unicode-version
> from a package uploaded yesterday and has been reregistered?

If the packages that were uploaded a year ago are still in active use,
somebody will renew the registration. So the case won't happen.

If nobody cares about the specific field, it may break, which is
then well-deserved.

Regards,
Martin