[Python-Dev] Edits to Metadata 1.2 to add extras (optional ependencies)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Aug 31 13:08:14 CEST 2012

Am 31.08.12 12:54, schrieb Donald Stufft:
> On Friday, August 31, 2012 at 6:48 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
>> 3. There should be a specification of how collisions between extension
>> fields and standard fields are resolved. E.g. if I have
>>
>> Extension: Home
>> Home-page:http://www.python.org
>>
>> is Home-page the extension field or the PEP 345 field? There are
>> several ways to resolve this; I suggest giving precedence to the
>> standard field (unless you specify that extensions must follow all
>> standard fields, in which case you can drop the extension prefix
>> from the extension keys).
>>
> Unless i'm mistaken (which I may be!) I believe that a / can be used as
> the separator between the namespace and the "real" key.

What do you mean by "can be"? In RFC 822, a slash can be in a
field-name, yes, but the PEPs recently became silent on the meta-syntax.

> Home-page: http://www.python.org
> Extension: Home
> Home/other-thing: Foo
>
> Doing this is the "Extension" field required?

Well, in my example it would then be

Home-page: http://www.python.org
Home/page: Foo

I don't think the Extension field is necessary if there is a promise
that standard fields won't ever include slashes.

Regards,
Martin