[Python-Dev] Proposing "Argument Clinic", a new way of specifying arguments to builtins for CPython

Hynek Schlawack hs at ox.cx
Tue Dec 4 09:22:54 CET 2012

Am 04.12.2012 um 00:42 schrieb Gregory P. Smith <greg at krypto.org>:

> * How would we convert all the builtins to use Clinic?  I fear any
>   solution will involve some work by hand.  Even if we can automate
>   big chunks of it, fully automating it would require parsing arbitrary
>   C.  This seems like overkill for a one-shot conversion.
>   (Mark Shannon says he has some ideas.)
>
> A lot of hand work.  Sprints at pycon.  etc.  Automating nice chunks of it could be partially done for some easy cases such as things that only use ParseTuple today.

I don’t see this as a big problem. There’s always lots of people who want to get into Python hacking and don’t know where to start. These are easily digestible pieces that can be *reviewed in a timely manner*, thus ideal. We could even do some (virtual) sprint just on that.

As for Larry: great approach, I’m impressed!