[Python-Dev] slightly misleading Popen.poll() docs

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed Dec 5 18:15:08 CET 2012

On 06/12/12 03:08, Chris Withers wrote:

> I'd like to change the docs for poll() to say:
>
> """
> Check if child process has terminated.
> If it has, the returncode attribute will be set and that value will be returned.
> If it has not, None will be returned and the returncode attribute will remain None.
> """
>
> Any objections?

Possibly because it is 4am here, I had to read this three times to understand it.
How is this instead?

"""
Check if child process has terminated. Returns None while the child is still running,
any non-None value means that the child has terminated. In either case, the return
value is also available from the instance's returncode attribute.
"""

--
Steven