[Python-Dev] Keyword meanings [was: Accept just PEP-0426]

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 6 17:30:35 CET 2012

Daniel Holth <dholth <at> gmail.com> writes:

> You have to make a maximum of 3 requests: one for the directory pointer, one
> for the directory, and one for the file you want. It's not particularly
> difficult to make an HTTP-backed seekable file object to pass to ZipFile() for
> this purpose but I don't have an example. Normally the last few k of the file
> will contain all 3 pieces. 8k or 16k would be a good guess.

I don't need an example for doing it with multiple HTTP requests. I only asked
for an example because you said one could read the metadata "with a single
HTTP partial request", and I couldn't see how it could always be done with a
single request.

PEP 427 is mute on the subject of zip file comments in a .whl, but perhaps it
shouldn't be. IIUC, the directory of the zip file *could* be further from the end
of the file by more than 16K, due to the possible presence of a pathologically
large comment in the end record.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip