[Python-Dev] Conflicts [was Re: Keyword meanings [was: Accept just PEP-0426]]

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 08:06:25 CET 2012

On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 3:48 PM, PJ Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:

> That's why I keep asking for specific, concrete use cases.  At this
> point, for the field to make any sense, there needs to be some better
> idea of what a "runtime" or "undefined" conflict is.  Apart from file
> conflicts, has anybody identified a single PyPI package that would
> make use of this field?  If so, what *is* that example, and what is
> the nature of the conflict?

The best current example I know of is whether or not a given package is
gevent compatible. At the moment, you have to try it and see, or hope the
project developers have a note somewhere saying whether or not it works.
"Incompatible" might be a better field name than "Conflicts" for that use
case, though.

You've persuaded me that any installer based notification of runtime
conflicts should at most be a warning (or even a separate query), since the
user has so many options for dealing with it (including the typical case
where the two components are simply never used in the same process).

Cheers,
Nick.