[Python-Dev] Draft PEP for time zone support.

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 16:48:18 CET 2012

On 11 December 2012 15:39, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan at ochtman.nl> wrote:
>> Should the windows installer include the data package?
>>
>> It has been suggested that the Windows installer should include the data
>> package. This would mean that an explicit installation no longer would be
>> needed on Windows. On the other hand, that would mean that many using Windows
>> would not be aware that the database quickly becomes outdated and would not
>> keep it updated.
>
> I still submit that it's pretty much just as easy to forget to update
> the database whether it's been installed by hand zero or one times, so
> I don't find your argument convincing. I don't mind the result much,
> though.

I agree. Also, in corporate or similar environments where each
individual package installation must be approved, having at least some
timezone data in the base install ensures that all Python code can
assume the *existence* of timezone support (if not necessarily the
accuracy of that data).

If the base Windows installer does not include timezone data, then the
documentation should note this and offer advice on how to write code
that degrades gracefully without timezones.

If the base installer *does* include timezone data, of course, there
should be a documented mechanism for updating it (we don't want magic
like the old xml package used, I assume).

Paul.