[Python-Dev] Draft PEP for time zone support.

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Dec 13 02:24:04 CET 2012

On 12/12/2012 7:27 PM, Brian Curtin wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 6:10 PM, MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:

>>> That would be nice, but where would that be installed? There is no
>>> standard location for zoneinfo files. And do we really want to install
>>> python-specific files outside the Python tree?

There is no 'Python tree' on windows. Rather, there is a separate tree
for each version, located where the user directs.

Windows used to have a %APPDATA% directory variable. Not sure about Win
7, let alone 8. Martin and others should know better.

Or ask the user where to put it. I know where I would choose, and it
would not be on my C drive. Un-installers would not delete (unless a
reference count were kept and were decremented to 0).

>> Python version x.y is installed into, say, C:\Pythonxy, so perhaps a
>> good place would be, say, C:\Python.
>
> C:\ProgramData\Python

Making a new top-level directory without asking is obnoxious.

--
Terry Jan Reedy