[Python-Dev] Draft PEP for time zone support.

Janzert janzert at janzert.com
Thu Dec 13 08:32:53 CET 2012

On 12/13/2012 1:39 AM, Glenn Linderman wrote:
> On 12/12/2012 6:10 PM, Janzert wrote:

>>>        ^^^^^ That.  Is not the path that the link below is talking
>>> about, though.
>>>

>> It actually does; it is rather confusing though. :/
>
> I agree with the below. But I have never seen a version of Windows on
> which c:\ProgramData was the actual path for FOLDERID_ProgramData. Can
> you reference documentation that states that it was there, for some
> version?  This documentation speaks of:
>
> c:\Documents and Settings\AllUsers\Application Data (which I knew from
> XP, and I think 2000, not sure I remember NT)
>
> In Vista.0, Vista.1, and Vista.2, I guess it is moved to
> C:\users\AllUsers\AppData\Roaming (typically).
>
> Neither of those would result in C:\ProgramData\Python.

The SO answer links to the KNOWNFOLDERID docs; the relevant entry
specifically is at

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd378457.aspx#FOLDERID_ProgramData

which gives the default path as,

%ALLUSERSPROFILE% (%ProgramData%, %SystemDrive%\ProgramData)

checking on my local windows 7 install gives:

C:\>echo %ALLUSERSPROFILE%
C:\ProgramData

C:\>echo %ProgramData%
C:\ProgramData