[Python-Dev] Draft PEP for time zone support.

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Dec 13 09:22:59 CET 2012

On 12/13/2012 1:06 AM, Lennart Regebro wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 2:24 AM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>> Or ask the user where to put it.
>
> If we ask where it should be installed, then we need a registry
> setting for that

Right.

> So I think that asking is not an option at all. It either goes in
> %PROGRAMDATA%\Python\zoneinfo or it's not shared at all.

If that works for all xp+ versions, fine.

>> I know where I would choose, and it would
>> not be on my C drive. Un-installers would not delete (unless a reference
>> count were kept and were decremented to 0).
>
> True, and that's annoying when those counters go wrong.

It seems to me that Windows has a mechanism for this, at least in some
versions. But maybe it only works for dlls.

> All in all I would say I would prefer to install this per Python.

Then explicit update requires multiple downloads or copying. This is a
violation of DRY. If if is not too large, it would not hurt to never
delete it.

--
Terry Jan Reedy