[Python-Dev] Downloads page: Which version of Python should be listed first?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 21:57:52 CET 2012

The default version shown on http://docs.python.org/ is now 3.3.0,
which I think is a Good Thing. However, http://python.org/download/
puts 2.7 first, and says:

"""If you don't know which version to use, start with Python 2.7; more
existing third party software is compatible with Python 2 than Python
3 right now."""

Firstly, is this still true? (I wouldn't have a clue.) And secondly,
would this be better worded as "one's better but the other's a good
fall-back"? Something like:

"""Don't know which version to use? Python 3.3 is the recommended
version for new projects, but much existing software is compatible
with Python 2."""

I only ever send people there to learn about programming, not to get a
dependency for an existing codebase, so I don't know what is actually
used.

ChrisA