[Python-Dev] Mercurial workflow question...

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Fri Dec 14 03:48:23 CET 2012

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 20:21:24 -0500, Trent Nelson <trent at snakebite.org> wrote:
>         - Use a completely separate clone to house all the intermediate
>           commits, then generate a diff once the final commit is ready,
>           then apply that diff to the main cpython repo, then push that.
>           This approach is fine, but it seems counter-intuitive to the
>           whole concept of DVCS.

Perhaps.  But that's exactly what I did with the email package changes
for 3.3.

You seem to have a tension between "all those dirty little commits" and
"clean history" and the fact that a dvcs is designed to preserve all
those commits...if you don't want those intermediate commits in the
official repo, then why is a diff/patch a bad way to achieve that?  If
you keep your pulls up to date in your feature repo, the diff/patch
process is simple and smooth.

The repo I worked on the email features in is still available, too, if
anyone is crazy enough to want to know about those intermediate steps...

--David