[Python-Dev] Mercurial workflow question...

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Dec 14 01:59:27 CET 2012

On Dec 14, 2012, at 12:36 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

>Both Git and Hg recognise there is a difference between interim commits and
>ones you want to publish and provide tools to revise a series of commits
>into a simpler set for publication to an official repo.

One of the things I love about Bazaar is that it has a concept of "main line
of development" that usually makes all this hand-wringing a non-issue.  When I
merge my development branch, with all its interim commits into trunk, all
those revisions go with it.  But it never matters because when you view
history (and bisect, etc.) on trunk, you see the merge as one commit.

Sure, you can descend into the right-hand side if you want to see all those
sub-commits, and the graphical tools allow you to expand them fairly easily,
but usually you just ignore them.

Nothing's completely for free of course, and having a main line of development
does mean you have to be careful about merge directionality, but that's
generally something you ingrain in your workflow once, and then forget about
it.  The bottom line is that Bazaar users rarely feel the need to rebase, even
though you can if you want to.

Cheers,
-Barry