[Python-Dev] Draft PEP for time zone support.
regebro at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 09:31:40 CET 2012
OK, so it's been 12 hours with no further discussion, so I'll make an
attempt to summarize what I think is the consensus changes before
updating the PEP.
1. Python will include a timezone database both in the source
distribution and the Windows installer (although I suspect that binary
packages for Linux distributions may skip this, but that's OK).
2. The timezone module becomes datetime.timezone, meaning datetime.py
is moved to datetime/__init__.py
3. get_timezone() will be just timezone() as no voices was raised to
4. The db parameter in timezone() will be renamed db_path
5. is_dst will default to False
6. The UnknownTimeZoneError exception will be just a ValueError
7. The two errors raised when converting timezones will both inherit
from a base exception.
8. A better name for the timezone data package. "tzdata-override" was
suggested, I prefer "tzdata-update" as it is clearer.
More information about the Python-Dev