[Python-Dev] Draft PEP for time zone support.

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 09:31:40 CET 2012

OK, so it's been 12 hours with no further discussion, so I'll make an
attempt to summarize what I think is the consensus changes before
updating the PEP.

1. Python will include a timezone database both in the source
distribution and the Windows installer (although I suspect that binary
packages for Linux distributions may skip this, but that's OK).

2. The timezone module becomes datetime.timezone, meaning datetime.py
is moved to datetime/__init__.py

3. get_timezone() will be just timezone() as no voices was raised to
defend get_timezone()

4. The db parameter in timezone() will be renamed db_path

5. is_dst will default to False

6. The UnknownTimeZoneError exception will be just a ValueError

7. The two errors raised when converting timezones will both inherit
from a base exception.

8. A better name for the timezone data package. "tzdata-override" was
suggested, I prefer "tzdata-update" as it is clearer.

//Lennart