[Python-Dev] Draft PEP for time zone support.

Christian Heimes christian at python.org
Fri Dec 14 12:01:32 CET 2012

Am 14.12.2012 09:31, schrieb Lennart Regebro:
> 1. Python will include a timezone database both in the source
> distribution and the Windows installer (although I suspect that binary
> packages for Linux distributions may skip this, but that's OK).

You need to specify the details. Where is the database stored and under
which condition is it updated?

Suggestions:

* The zoneinfo database is stored in the new package 'tzdata',
  that's Lib/tzdata in the source dist. The files are kept in
  our hg repository, too.

* A tool chain is provided that compiles the zoneinfos from a Olson
  tar.gz file. (Bonus points for a download + update script). The
  tool chain is included in source dist, e.g. Tools/.

* The db is updated on a regular basis during the development, alpha
  and beta phase by any core dev. Every patch level release shall
  contain the latest version of the db, maybe except for security
  releases.

* It's the release managers responsibility to make sure, all final
  releases contain the current db. This needs to be added to the
  RM's TODO list.

Who is going to create the tzdata_update package, how is it compiled and
how often should it be released?

One other thing, the zoneinfo database should be compatible with zipfile
distributions. The module should be able to load the files from a stdlib
zipfile. The feature is important for freeze, py2exe and py2app.

Christian