[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] Cron <docs at dinsdale> /home/docs/build-devguide

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sat Dec 22 21:46:40 CET 2012

On Dec 22, 2012, at 03:36 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:

>I always reject the requests as I don't believe these messages belong here. I
>even asked, some months ago, on pydev who was responsible for the robot that
>sends these but got no answer. Today, apparently, another list admin decided
>on the opposite response and gave root at python.org blanket permission to flood
>this list with irrelavancy. It it not my responsibility and I have no idea
>how to fix it.
>
>While people with push priviliges are supposed to subscribe to this list, I
>know there is at least one who unsubscribed because of the volume. This will
>only encourage more to leave, so I hope someone can stop it.

Actually, I made docs at dinsdale.python.org an acceptable alias so these
messages won't just fill up the hold queue of the list.  It did get the
problem fixed, didn't it? ;)

I don't remember the previous conversation.  If folks really don't want those
messages hitting the checkins list, then errors should probably be sent to
some address that can do something about the problem when they occur.  Maybe
that's not docs at dinsdale.python.org, or maybe that alias should point
somewhere else (is that address ever used in the good path?).  I have no idea
where that address is used.

As for the noise issue, well, I hope such failures shouldn't happen very
often.  We can set up an auto-discard, but then I worry that problems will
just go unnoticed for days.

-Barry