[Python-Dev] question about packaging

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 30 02:06:58 CET 2012

Antonio Cavallo <a.cavallo <at> cavallinux.eu> writes:

> Correct if I'm wrong but distlib isn't targeting resources managent?
> distutils is targeted to distribute python modules/packages instead;
> small differences but on the field they really mean different things.

distlib is intended to target more than resource management, but it's not a
full-blown packaging system. Rather, it's intended to implement common pieces
of functionality needed by packaging systems in a hopefully non-controversial
and useful way.

> distlib is under http://hg.python.org/distlib too :O

Actually the BitBucket repo is more active and readthedocs has the latest docs,
but I do periodically update the above repo on hg.python.org.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip