[Python-Dev] PEP 408 -- Standard library __preview__ package

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Feb 3 19:00:07 CET 2012

On 27/01/2012 15:09, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 15:21:33 +0200
> Eli Bendersky<eliben at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>> Following an earlier discussion on python-ideas [1], we would like to
>> propose the following PEP for review. Discussion is welcome. The PEP
>> can also be viewed in HTML form at
>> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0408/
>
> A big +1 from me.

Actually a pretty big -1 from me.

I'd prefer to see the standard library getting smaller, not bigger, and
packages being upgradeable independently from the Python version as a
result.

Every time I see things like the following I cry a little inside:

try:
   try:
     from py2stdliblocation import FooBar as Foo
   except ImportError:
     from py3stdliblocation import foo as Foo
except ImportError:
   from pypilocation import Foo

Now we're talking about having to add __preview__ into that mix too?

:'(

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk