[Python-Dev] peps: Update with bugfix releases.

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Sun Feb 5 22:12:43 CET 2012

In article
<CADiSq7c8OZN4rqDF8aPkT4QLo4XT1ZcfxywTf7Wi8peupChrJQ at mail.gmail.com>,
> Because Apple wasn't publishing versions of gcc-llvm that miscompile
> Python when those releases were made.

More importantly, Apple removed gcc-4.2 with the current versions of
Xcode 4 and the Pythons installed by our current installers require
gcc-4.2 to build extension modules.  That will be changed but the
situation is much more complex than when the previous set of releases
went out.

> (However, that's just a
> clarification of what changed to break the Mac OS X builds, I don't
> think it's a reason to hold up the hash security fix, even if it means
> spinning 3.2.4 not long after PyCon to sort out the XCode build
> problems).

I don't think it is a service to any of our users to hurry out two
releases with minimal testing and with the knowledge that a major
platform is crippled and with the expectation that another set of
releases will be issued within 4 to 6 weeks, all just because of a
fairly obscure problem that has been around for years (even if not
publicized).  Releases add a lot of work and risk for everyone in the
Python chain, especially distributors of Python and end-users.

That's just my take on it, of course.   I can live with either option.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org