[Python-Dev] [Python-ideas] matrix operations on dict :)

Mark Janssen dreamingforward at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 17:55:12 CET 2012

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 09:01:29PM +0100, julien tayon wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Proposing vector operations on dict, and acknowledging there was an
> > homeomorphism from rooted n-ary trees to dict, was inducing the
> > possibility of making matrix of dict / trees.
>
> This seems interesting to me, but I don't see that they are important
> enough to be built-in to dicts. [...]
>

> Otherwise, this looks rather like a library of functions looking for a
> use. It might help if you demonstrate what concrete problems this helps
> you solve.

I have the problem looking for this solution!

The application for this functionality is in coding a fractal graph (or
"multigraph" in the literature).  This is the most powerful structure that
Computer Science has ever conceived.  If you look at the evolution of data
structures in compsci, the fractal graph is the ultimate.  From lists to
trees to graphs to multigraphs.  The latter elements can always encompass
the former with only O(1) extra cost.

It has the potential to encode *any* relationship from the very small to
the very large (as well as across or *laterally*) in one unified structure.
 Optimize this one data structure and the whole standard library could be
refactored and simplified by an order of magnitude.  Not only that, it will
pave the way for the "re-factored" internet that's being worked on which
creates a content-centric Internet beyond the graph-level, hypertext
internet.

Believe, it will be awesome.

Slowing down....

mark