[Python-Dev] importlib quest

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Tue Feb 7 19:26:17 CET 2012

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 14:49, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 09:57:56 -0500
> Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> > Thanks for any help people can provide me on this now 5 year quest to get
> > this work finished.
>
> Do you have any plan to solve the performance issue?

I have not even looked at performance or attempted to profile the code, so
I suspect there is room for improvement.

> $ ./python -m timeit -s "import sys; mod='struct'" \
>  "__import__(mod); del sys.modules[mod]"
> 10000 loops, best of 3: 75.3 usec per loop
> $ ./python -m timeit -s "import sys; mod='struct'; from importlib import
> __import__" \
>  "__import__(mod); del sys.modules[mod]"
> 1000 loops, best of 3: 421 usec per loop
>
> Startup time is already much worse in 3.3 than in 2.7. With such a
> slowdown in importing fresh modules, applications using many batteries
> (third-party or not) will be heavily impacted.

I have a benchmark suite for importing modules directly at
importlib.test.benchmark, but it doesn't explicitly cover searching far
down sys.path. I will see if any of the existing tests implicitly do that
and if not add it.