[Python-Dev] requirements for moving __import__ over to importlib?

Dirkjan Ochtman dirkjan at ochtman.nl
Tue Feb 7 21:28:57 CET 2012

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 21:24, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> Identifying the use cases are important here.  For example, even if it were a
> lot slower, Mailman wouldn't care (*I* might care because it takes longer to
> run my test, but my users wouldn't).  But Bazaar or Mercurial users would care
> a lot.

Yeah, startup performance getting worse kinda sucks for command-line
apps. And IIRC it's been getting worse over the past few releases...

Anyway, I think there was enough of a python3 port for Mercurial (from
various GSoC students) that you can probably run some of the very
simple commands (like hg parents or hg id), which should be enough for
your purposes, right?

Cheers,

Dirkjan