[Python-Dev] which C language standard CPython must conform to

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Tue Feb 7 23:24:32 CET 2012

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 1:41 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> Am 07.02.2012 20:10, schrieb Gregory P. Smith:
>> Why do we still care about C89?  It is 2012 and we're talking about
>> Python 3.  What compiler on what platform that anyone actually cares
>> about does not support C99?
>
> As Amaury says: Visual Studio still doesn't support C99. The story is
> both funny and sad: In Visual Studio 2002, the release notes included
> a comment that they couldn't consider C99 (in 2002), because of lack of
> time, and the standard came so quickly. In 2003, they kept this notice.
> In VS 2005 (IIRC), they said that there is too little customer demand
> for C99 so that they didn't implement it; they recommended to use C++
> or C#, anyway. Now C2011 has been published.

Thanks!  I've probably asked this question before.  Maybe I'll learn
this time. ;)

Some quick searching shows that there is at least hope Microsoft is on
board with C++11x (not so surprising, their crown jewels are written
in C++).  We should at some point demand a C++ compiler for CPython
and pick of subset of C++ features to allow use of but that is likely
reserved for the Python 4 timeframe (a topic for another thread and
time entirely, it isn't feasible for today's codebase).

In that timeframe another alternative Question may make sense to ask:
Do we need a single unified all-platform-from-one-codebase python
interpreter?

If we can get other VM implementations up to date language feature
wise and manage to sufficiently decouple standard library development
from CPython itself that becomes possibile.  One of the difficulties
with that would obviously be new language feature development if it
meant updating more than one VM at a time in order to ship an
implementation of a new pep.

-gps