[Python-Dev] requirements for moving __import__ over to importlib?

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Feb 8 03:35:48 CET 2012

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 6:40 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> importlib could provide a parameterized decorator for functions that are
> the only consumers of an import. It could operate much like this:
>
> def imps(mod):
>    def makewrap(f):
>        def wrapped(*args, **kwds):
>            print('first/only call to wrapper')
>            g = globals()
>            g[mod] = __import__(mod)
>            g[f.__name__] = f
>            f(*args, **kwds)
>        wrapped.__name__ = f.__name__
>        return wrapped
>    return makewrap
>
> @imps('itertools')
> def ic():
>    print(itertools.count)
>
> ic()
> ic()
> #
> first/only call to wrapper
> <class 'itertools.count'>
> <class 'itertools.count'>

If I were going to rewrite code, I'd just use lazy imports (see
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Importing ).  They're even faster than this
approach (or using plain import statements), as they have zero per-call
function call overhead.  It's just that not everything I write can depend
on Importing.

Throw an equivalent into the stdlib, though, and I guess I wouldn't have to
worry about dependencies...

(To be clearer; I'm talking about the
http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/Importing#lazy-imports feature,
which sticks a dummy module subclass instance into sys.modules, whose
__gettattribute__ does a reload() of the module, forcing the normal import
process to run, after first changing the dummy object's type to something
that doesn't have the __getattribute__ any more.  This ensures that all
accesses after the first one are at normal module attribute access speed.
 That, and the "whenImported" decorator from Importing would probably be of
general stdlib usefulness too.)