[Python-Dev] folding cElementTree behind ElementTree in 3.3

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 13:21:13 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 10:04 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 11:11:07 +0000
> Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It's important to respect Fredrik's wishes and ownership, but we can't
>> leave part of the stdlib frozen and abandoned just because he's not
>> available any longer.
>
> It's not frozen, it's actually maintained.

Indeed, it sounds like the most appropriate course (if we don't hear
otherwise from Fredrik) may be to just update PEP 360 to acknowledge
current reality (i.e. the most current release of ElementTree is
actually the one maintained by Florent in the stdlib).

I'll note that this change isn't *quite* as simple as Eli's
description earlier in the thread may suggest, though - the test suite
also needs to be updated to ensure that the Python version is still
fully exercised without the C acceleration applied. And such an an
alteration would definitely be an explicit fork, even though the user
facing API doesn't change - we're changing the structure of the code
in a way that means some upstream deltas (if they happen to occur) may
not apply cleanly.

Regards,
Nick.