[Python-Dev] peps: Update with bugfix releases.

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Feb 8 21:46:22 CET 2012

Am 05.02.2012 21:34, schrieb Ned Deily:
> In article
> <20120205204551.Horde.NCdeYVNNcXdPLtxvnkzi1lA at webmail.df.eu>,
>  martin at v.loewis.de wrote:
>
>>> I understand that but, to me, it makes no sense to send out truly
>>> broken releases.  Besides, the hash collision attack is not exactly
>>> new either.  Another few weeks can't make that much of a difference.
>>
>> Why would the release be truly broken? It surely can't be worse than
>> the current releases (which apparently aren't truly broken, else
>> there would have been no point in releasing them back then).
>
> They were broken by the release of OS X 10.7 and Xcode 4.2 which were
> subsequent to the previous releases.  None of the currently available
> python.org installers provide a fully working system on OS X 10.7, or on
> OS X 10.6 if the user has installed Xcode 4.2 for 10.6.

In what way are the current releases not fully working? Are you
referring to issues with building extension modules?

If it's that, I wouldn't call that "truly broken". Plus, the releases
continue to work fine on older OS X releases.

So when you build a bug fix release, just build it with the same tool
chain as the previous bug fix release, and all is fine.

Regards,
Martin