[Python-Dev] Add a new "locale" codec?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Feb 9 01:35:33 CET 2012

Simon Cross wrote:
> I think I'm -1 on a "locale" encoding because it refers to different
> actual encodings depending on where and when it's run, which seems
> surprising

Why is it surprising? Surely that's the whole point of a locale encoding: to
use the locale encoding, whatever that happens to be at the time.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't see how this proposal is any more
surprising than the fact that (say) Decimal uses a global context if you don't
specify one explicitly. Only this should be *less* surprising, because Decimal
uses the global context by default, while this will use the global locale
encoding only if you explicitly tell it to.

--
Steven