[Python-Dev] peps: Update with bugfix releases.

Russell E. Owen rowen at uw.edu
Thu Feb 9 20:52:29 CET 2012

In article <4F32DF1E.40205 at v.loewis.de>,
 "Martin v. Lowis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> Am 05.02.2012 21:34, schrieb Ned Deily:
> > In article
> > <20120205204551.Horde.NCdeYVNNcXdPLtxvnkzi1lA at webmail.df.eu>,

> >> Why would the release be truly broken? It surely can't be worse than
> >> the current releases (which apparently aren't truly broken, else
> >> there would have been no point in releasing them back then).
> >
> > They were broken by the release of OS X 10.7 and Xcode 4.2 which were
> > subsequent to the previous releases.  None of the currently available
> > python.org installers provide a fully working system on OS X 10.7, or on
> > OS X 10.6 if the user has installed Xcode 4.2 for 10.6.
>
> In what way are the current releases not fully working? Are you
> referring to issues with building extension modules?

One problem I've run into is that the 64-bit Mac python 2.7 does not
work properly with ActiveState Tcl/Tk. One symptom is to build
matplotlib. The results fail -- both versions of Tcl/Tk somehow get
linked in.

We have had similar problems with the 32-bit python.org python in the
past, but recent builds have been fine. I believe the solution that
worked for the 32-bit versions was to install ActiveState Tcl/Tk before
making the distribution build. The results would work fine with Apple's
Tcl/Tk or with ActiveState Tcl/Tk. I don't know if the same solution
would work for 64-bit python.

I don't know of any issues with the 32-bit build of Python 2.7.

I've not tried the Python 3 builds.

-- Russell