[Python-Dev] folding cElementTree behind ElementTree in 3.3

Florent florent.xicluna at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 09:32:31 CET 2012

2012/2/10 Eli Bendersky <eliben at gmail.com>

> Thanks for the input, Florent. So, to paraphrase, there already are
> code changes in the stdlib version of ET/cET which are not upstream.
> You made it explicit about the tests, so the question is only left for
> the modules themselves. Is that right?

The port of ElementTree to Python 3000 was done in the standard
library only. The work was done back in 2006, 2007 and 2008.
There was never a public version of ElementTree for Python 3 outside
of the standard library.
It is already a significant change from the upstream branch (many
changes in the C extension code).

Then when I enforced the same test suite for both implementation, I
have fixed many things in the C extension module too. To my knowledge,
these fixes were not included upstream.

Since two years, there was regular maintenance of the package in the
standard library, but none of the patch were integrated upstream.

I hope it answers the question,

--
Florent Xicluna