[Python-Dev] PEP 411: Provisional packages in the Python standard library

Jim J. Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 21:13:18 CET 2012

Eli Bendersky wrote (in
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2012-February/116393.html ):

> A package will be marked provisional by including the
> following paragraph as a note at the top of its
> documentation page:

I really would like some marker available from within Python
itself.

Use cases:

(1)  During development, the documentation I normally read
first is whatever results from import module; help(module),
or possibly dir(module).

(2)  At BigCorp, there were scheduled times to move as much
as possible to the current (or current-1) version.
Regardless of policy, full regression test suites don't
generally exist.  If Python were viewed as part of the
infrastructure (rather than as part of a specific
application), or if I were responsible for maintaining an
internal application built on python, that would be the time
to upgrade python -- and I would want an easy way to figure
out which applications and libraries I should concentrate on
for testing.

> * Encapsulation of the import state (PEP 368)

Wrong PEP number.  I'm guessing that you meant 406.

--

If there are still threading problems with my replies, please
email me with details, so that I can try to resolve them.  -jJ