[Python-Dev] PEP 394 request for pronouncement (python2 symlink in *nix systems)

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Sun Feb 12 17:17:46 CET 2012

In article
<CADiSq7cfuZ=22zcGkvcT4TH+GjjTaHHAh9XK6jUBwZv=aLuiKQ at mail.gmail.com>,

> PEP 394 [1] aims to document our collective recommendation for
> allowing shebang lines to specifically request some version of 2.x,
> without requiring that it be exactly 2.7 (or 2.6, etc).
>
> I'd let this drift for a while, but the imminent release of 2.7.3
> makes it necessary to push for a final pronouncement. Kerrick has the
> necessary Makefile.pre.in patch up on the tracker [2] to add the hard
> link for the python2 name.
>
> We could, of course, make the recommendation to distributions without
> updating "make install" and "make bininstall" to follow our own
> advice, but that seems needlessly inconsistent.

BTW, the patch is not sufficient to do all the right things for OS X
intstaller builds, so, if you are thinking of approving this for 2.7.3,
I'll need a few hours to develop and test the patch for that prior to
code freeze, once there is agreement what it should do.  Is there any
work needed on the Windows installer side?

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org