[Python-Dev] PEP 394 request for pronouncement (python2 symlink in *nix systems)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 03:28:40 CET 2012

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 7:07 AM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> I think Antoine makes a good point about ease of introspection when
>> you have multiple versions in the same series installed, so I'd be
>> fine with:
>> - updating the PEP recommendation to say that either form of link is
>> fine (with hard links marginally faster, but harder to introspect)
>> - noting that python.org releases will consistently use symlinks for
>> easier introspection via "ls -l"
>> - updating Makefile.pre.in to ensure that we really do consistently use symlinks
>
> Sounds fine to me as well. When you update the PEP, please also update
> the <TBD> mark with the actual issue number (or add it to the References).

Hmm, the PEP builder on python.org may need a kick. I added the
tracker reference before starting this thread
(http://hg.python.org/peps/rev/78b94f8648fa), but didn't comment on it
since I expected the site to update in fairly short order.

> For the patch, it seems that one open issue is OSX support, although
> I'm unsure what exactly the issue is.

I don't know either, but I'll take Ned's word for it if he says
there's something more he needs to do to make it work in the OS X
binaries.

Cheers,
Nick.