[Python-Dev] PEP 410 (Decimal timestamp): the implementation is ready for a review

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Feb 14 22:27:27 CET 2012

On Feb 13, 2012, at 07:33 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:

>Oh, I forgot to mention my main concern about datetime: many functions
>returning timestamp have an undefined starting point (an no timezone
>information ), and so cannot be converted to datetime:
> - time.clock(), time.wallclock(), time.monotonic(),
>time.clock_gettime() (except for CLOCK_REALTIME)
> - time.clock_getres()
> - signal.get/setitimer()
> - os.wait3(), os.wait4(), resource.getrusage()
> - etc.

That's not strictly true though, is it?  E.g. clock_gettime() returns the
number of seconds since the Epoch, which is a well-defined start time at least
on *nix systems.  So clearly those types of functions could return datetimes.

I'm fairly certain that between those types of functions and timedeltas you
could have most of the bases covered.

-Barry