[Python-Dev] best place for an atomic file API

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Thu Feb 16 02:49:54 CET 2012

Brian Curtin <brian at python.org> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 19:19, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> > Charles-François Natali <neologix at free.fr> writes:
> >
> >> […] using rename() on POSIX systems and MoveFileEx() on Windows
> >> (which are now available through os.replace()). It would also use
> >> fsync() on POSIX to make sure data is committed to disk.
> >
> > These make it quite OS-specific.
>
> That'll happen when solving problems on different OSes. Do you propose
> a more platform agnostic solution?

No, I have no objection to that implementation. I'm pointing that out
only because the nature of the functionality implies I'd expect to find
it within the ‘os’ module hierarchy.

--
 \       “The man who is denied the opportunity of taking decisions of |
  `\      importance begins to regard as important the decisions he is |