[Python-Dev] PEP 394 request for pronouncement (python2 symlink in *nix systems)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Feb 16 16:39:40 CET 2012

On Feb 16, 2012, at 09:54 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

>It turns out I'd forgotten what was in the PEP - the Notes section
>already contained a lot of suggestions along those lines. I changed
>the title of the section to "Migration Notes", but tried to make it
>clear that those *aren't* consensus recommendations, just ideas
>distros may want to think about when considering making the switch.
>
>The updated version is live on python.org:
>http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0394/

That section looks great Nick, thanks.

I have one very minor quibble left.  In many places the PEP says something
like:

    "For the time being, it is recommended that python should refer to python2
    (however, some distributions have already chosen otherwise; see the
    Rationale and Migration Notes below)."

which implies that we may change our recommendation, but never quite says what
the mechanism is for us to do that.

You could change the status of this PEP from Draft to Active, which perhaps
implies a little more strongly that this PEP will be updated should our
recommendation ever change.  I suspect it won't though (or at least won't any
time soon).

If you mark the PEP as Final, we still have the option of updating the PEP
some time later to reflect new recommendations.  It might be worth a quick
sentence to that effect in the PEP.

As I say though, this is a very minor quibble, so just DTRT.  +1 and thanks
for your great work on it.

Cheers,
-Barry