[Python-Dev] PEP 410, 3rd revision, Decimal timestamp

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Feb 19 23:47:29 CET 2012

>>  * Ruby (1.9.3), the `Time class <http://ruby-doc.org/core-1.9.3/Time.html>`_
>>   supports picosecond (10\ :sup:`-12`)
>
> We must do better than Ruby: support arbritrary precision! :-D

Seriously, I do consider that a necessary requirement for the PEP (which
the Decimal type actually meets). I don't want to deal with
this issue *again* in my lifetime (now being the second time),
so it's either arbitrary-precision, or highest-possible precision.
When I was in school, attoseconds (as) where the shortest named
second fraction. Today, it seems we should go for yoctoseconds (ys).
There is an absolute boundary, though: it seems there is no point in
going shorter than the Planck time (5.4 * 10**-44).

Regards,
Martin