[Python-Dev] Status of PEP 397 - Python launcher for Windows

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 20 16:54:31 CET 2012

On 18/02/2012 05:24, Mark Hammond wrote:
> I'm wondering what thoughts are on PEP 397, the Python launcher for
> Windows. I've been using the implementation for a number of months now
> and I find it incredibly useful.
>
> To my mind, the specific steps would be:
>
> * Have someone pronounce it as accepted (or suggest steps to be taken
> before such a pronouncement). I can't recall the current process - does
> Guido have to pronounce personally or formally delegate to a czar?
>
> * Move the source into the Python tree and update the build process.
>
> * Arrange for it to be installed with the next release of 3.2 and all
> future versions - I'm happy to try and help with that, but will probably
> need some help from Martin.
>
> * Write some user-oriented docs.

The section in the docs "Using Python on Windows" would need to be
updated, but would this have to happen for every current version of Python?

The docs here
https://bitbucket.org/vinay.sajip/pylauncher/src/tip/Doc/launcher.rst
are in my view possibly overkill, what do the rest of you think?

The ouput from py --help seems fine but nothing happens when pyw --help
is entered, is this by accident or design?

> Thoughts or comments?
>
> Mark

A cracking bit of kit :)

--