[Python-Dev] PEP 394

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 23:56:48 CET 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 12:58 AM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 4:58 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> PEP 394
>> was at the top of my list recently
>

> I've tried to edit it to be a little bit shorter (perhaps cleaner) and
> commented (up to revision 2) up to Migration Notes.
> http://piratepad.net/pep-0394
>
> The main points:
> 1. `python2.7` should be `python27`

No, it shouldn't. The default *nix links include the period (it's only
the Windows binaries that leave it out)

> 2. until platform supports Python 2, `python` should link to python2 binary

That's a distro decision - if their Python 2 code is all updated to
specifically use "python2", they can switch the default whenever they
want.

> 3. python2 should always point to the latest version available on the system

No, it should point to the distro installed version or wherever the
system admin decides to point it. So long as it points to *some*
flavour of Python 2, it's in line with the recommendation.

Cheers,
Nick.