[Python-Dev] folding cElementTree behind ElementTree in 3.3

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 02:59:54 CET 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Eli Bendersky <eliben at gmail.com> wrote:
> So the two choices here are either change the documentation or the C
> implementation to actually make Element a class. The first is of course
> simpler. However, someone somewhere may have written code that knowingly
> forces the Python implementation to be used and subclasses Element. Such
> code will break in 3.3, so it probably makes sense to invest in making
> Element a class in the C implementation as well.

Yeah, that's my take as well (especially since, in 3.2 and earlier,
"forcing" use of the pure Python version was just a matter of
importing ElementTree instead of cElementTree).

While Xavier's point about lxml following cElementTree's lead and
using a factory function is an interesting one, I think in this case
the documented behaviour + pure Python implementation win out over the
C accelerator behaviour.

Cheers,
Nick.