[Python-Dev] Issue 13703 is closed for the Python 2.6 branch

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Feb 22 19:14:49 CET 2012

Two more small details to address, and then I think we're ready to start
creating release candidates.

 - sys.flags.hash_randomization

   In the tracker issue, I had previously stated a preference that this flag
   only reflect the state of the -R command line option, not the
   $PYTHONHASHSEED environment variable.  Well, that's not the way other
   options/envars such as -O/$PYTHONOPTIMIZE work.  sys.flags.optimize gets
   set if either of those two things set it, so sys.flags.hash_randomization
   needs to follow that convention.  Thus no change is necessary here.

 - sys.hash_seed

   In the same tracker issue, I expressed my opinion that the hash seed should
   be exposed in sys.hash_seed for reproducibility.  There's a complication
   that Victor first mentioned in IRC, but I didn't quite understand the
   implications of at first.  When PYTHONHASHSEED=random is set, there *is no*
   hash seed.  We pull random data straight out of urandom and use that
   directly as the secret, so there's nothing to expose in sys.hash_seed.

In that case, sys.hash_seed is pretty much redundant, since Python code could
just check getenv('PYTHONHASHSEED') and be done with it.  I don't think
there's anything useful to expose to Python or communicated between Python
executables when truly random hash data is used.

Thus, unless there are objections, I consider the current state of the Python
2.6 branch to be finished wrt issue 13703.

Cheers,
-Barry