[Python-Dev] Proposing an alternative to PEP 410

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Fri Feb 24 00:47:05 CET 2012

On 02/23/2012 02:35 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:
> I rejected datetime.datetime because I want to get nanosecond
> resolution for time and os modules, not only for the os module. If we
> choose to only patch the os module (*stat() and *utime*() functions),
> datetime.datetime would be meaningful (e.g. it's easier to format
> datetime for an human, than a Epoch timestamp).

I think a piecemeal approach would be better.  I'm aware of a specific
problem with os.stat / os.utime--the loss of precision problem that's
already been endlessly discussed.  Is there a similar problem with these
other functions?

> I don't
> think that there is a need to support datetime+int or datetime-float,
> there is already the timedelta type which is well defined.

I suggest this because I myself have written (admittedly sloppy) code
that assumed it could perform simple addition with st_mtime.  Instead of
finding out the current timestamp and writing that out properly, I
occasionally read in the file's mtime, add a small integer (or even
smaller float), and write it back out.

> For os.stat(), you should use the UTC timezone, not a naive datetime.

Why is that more appropriate?  IIUC, timestamps ignore leap seconds and
strictly represent "seconds since the epoch".  In order to correctly
return a time in the UTC time zone we'd have to adjust for leap
seconds.  Naive datetimes bask in their happy ignorance of such
complexities.

//arry/