[Python-Dev] PEP 414

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 13:40:35 CET 2012

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 10:34 PM, Ned Batchelder <ned at nedbatchelder.com> wrote:
> There are already __future__ imports that violate this principle:  from
> __future__ import division.  That doesn't mean I'm in favor of this new
> __future__, just keeping a wide angle on the viewfinder.

Armin's straw poll was actually about whether or not people used the
future import for division, rather than unicode literals. It is indeed
the same problem - and several of us had a strong preference for
forcing float division with "float(x) / y" over relying on the long
distance effect of the future import (although it was only in this
thread that I figured out exactly *why* I don't like those two, but
happily used many of the other future imports when they were
necessary).

Cheers,
Nick.