[Python-Dev] PEP 414

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sun Feb 26 22:06:57 CET 2012

On Feb 26, 2012, at 09:20 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

>It reduces the problem (compared to omitting the import and using a
>u() function), but it's still ugly and still involves the "action at a
>distance" of the unicode literals import.

Frankly, that doesn't bother me at all.  I've been using the future import in
all my code pretty successfully for a long while now.  It's much more
important for a project to use or not use the future import consistently, and
then there really should be no confusion when looking at the code for that
project.

I'm not necessarily saying I'm opposed to the purpose of the PEP.  I do think
it's unnecessary for most Python problem domains, but can appreciate that WSGI
apps are feeling a special pain here that should be addressed somehow.  It
would be nice however if the solution were in the form of a separate module
that could be used in earlier Python versions.

-Barry